Saturday, February 11, 2006

Justice is served, perhaps?

I will always remember thinking..."NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!" when I heard the news Art Shell was fired back in 94. i remember thinking that it was a bad move, and history has shown i was right, as virtually every sane raider fan would say, as well. Frack, even Al Davis has admitted it was a mistake. So...today, Art Shell is back as coach of the Oakland raiders, and they have immediately vaulted back into the #2 spot for my Pro Football rooting ranking, behind the Panthers. The Falcons and Cowboys both slide down a notch. In case you dont know, Art Shell was the first black head coach in the NFL, and he got the shaft when his players acted like children back in 94. And the Raiders, except for the Gruden era, have sucked since then. Shell says "It's coming home to finish what I started. I left coaching but I never left football. Once a Raider, always a Raider, that's a true statement," Shell said. "When the job opened up I felt our organization, my football team needed me. I can't tell you how much I feel about being a part of the Raiders organization."

"The standards are high, the expectations are high and the players have to understand that. The players have to understand what 'Commitment to Excellence' means. I have to come in here and show them the way - the Raider way," Shell continued. "We will win, we will be tough and have the ability to strike from anywhere on the football field." Man o man, I am jacked! Not since that faithful day in that bar, sitting there with Brown, watching Tom Brady steal that Super Bowl (and the resulting 5 year run they have been on) away in the snow, have i felt as good about the Raiders. AWESOME!!!!


No comments: