Thursday, December 10, 2009

what will it be in 20 years...

Earlier I was noting this...

as i am sitting here typing, my son is playing a game on my Droid that blows away anything that could even be thought of when I was his age. He is playing with a device that fits in the palm of his hand that has more computing power than what was on the Apollo missions to the moon. and I think back to when my parents got me a Commodore 64. I thought that it could NEVER possibly get any better than that...

and even more surreal is that he has picked up SpeedForge on my Droid and is doing far better than i have and I have been playing it for a couple of days. In five minutes he is already better than me...

1 comment:

Florida John said...

Pretty freaking amazing on the droid point, isn't it? Tell you another thing, Jerome, since you mentioned the Commodore 64 and I know you remember old times well... the past few weeks have found me reflecting a great deal on times of old too and it's a bit scary. Visiting my folks place, knowing that they have it for sale, and knowing regardless the day will come I don't get to see it anymore brought back EXTREMELY sharp memories of checking minnow traps in the creek, walking the trail, fishing the ponds, even playing the gorilla banana toss game with you that you programmed on the commodore. What I found scary was that those memories seem so sharp they could have happened yesterday and the tiniest details remain in my memory, whereas events that happened this past year are kind of fuzzy in my memory and seem they FLY by SOOOO very fast I can barely recall them. Hoping it's no sign of early alzheimer's and guessing not, but also making me appreciate that I need to spend as much quality time with Grace as possible in the coming years as I'll be planting vivid memories that will likely live on a bit past my own physical existence. Guess that's the way it is meant to be.