Thursday, July 22, 2010

“We must always think about things, and we must think about things as they are, not as they are said to be.” -George Bernard Shaw

I certainly hope those who complain that I talk about Obama, etc. too much understand that this part of who/what my blog is about. MY OPINIONS and MY POINTS of VIEW will be posted here from time to time. I am not forcing anyone to read anything or think any certain way. Just offering information and stuff from my perspective and asking questions.

I will say again that I appreciate and want to hear all points of view, and spend a lot of time reading and watching and listening from all sides. That I express something that is conservative or "right wing" is, well, the way it is.

“If a man isn't willing to take some risk for his opinions, either his opinions are no good or he's no good” - Ezra Pound

I am what I am.

However, I am not a "right winger" nor a part of the religious right, or nor do I simply watch FOXNEWS all day. I probably listen and watch more NPR and MSNBC than most of you. I am "Conservative" more than I might be "Liberal". But if you care to take a closer listen to what I say and have said in the past , you would know that my positions are not taken lightly, nor without a LOT of thought.

"We should be eternally vigilant against attempts to check the expression of opinions that we loathe.” - Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr


This is an avenue for me to speak my opinion.

While it might not be totally about the same thing, I am reminded of a poem I read long ago... rather than reprint just the poem, I am going to steal the Wikipedia article so you have an explanation of it.... yeah... i know... Wikipedia.... but it is quick...


"First they came ..." is a famous statement attributed to Pastor Martin Niemöller (1892–1984) about the inactivity of German intellectuals following the Nazi rise to power and the purging of their chosen targets, group after group. The text expresses, in a condensed form, the understanding of history presented by Niemöller in a January 6, 1946 speech before representatives of the Confessing Church in Frankfurt.[1]

"THEY CAME FIRST for the Communists,
and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Communist.

THEN THEY CAME for the trade unionists,
and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a trade unionist.

THEN THEY CAME for the Jews,
and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Jew.

THEN THEY CAME for me
and by that time no one was left to speak up."

1 comment:

The Critic said...

Your blog was "next" in line and so I began to read. I enjoyed this post. I am fairly certain we would not agree on politics, religion, or even recreational activities. What I find remarkable is the simple way you put "this is an avenue for me to speak MY opinion" Too often I feel we are placed into a box and told what to say, how to feel, and even what to think. We have lost sight of our own opinions. And sir I admire any person that is willing to speak their opinion. but your opinion is not just a random thought about something you have heard. Your opinions, so you claim, are based on thought, not reaction. And for this I applaud you.