Wednesday, December 08, 2004

What do they say to each other?

While driving the twins to daycare this morning, I was struck as to how much Rylee and Ian talk to each other. And how much of it I do not understand still, despite the fact that they obviously understand each other. Oh, i can understand some sentences...about 60 percent of it. But there are times one will say something to the other, I havent a clue what was said, but the other will acknowledge, understand, and reply. What strikes me is that there will come a time in the future when they will be separated ( it is usual policy to separate twins in school )... and I ponder what will they think then? They have hardly spent a total of a day apart from each other for their entire lives so far. Can you imagine? Even though I am married to my wife, there have been times when we havent seen each other for a couple of days. Ian and Rylee have hardly gone a few minutes...ever in their 3 years, 9 months of existence...without being within shouting distance of each other.

...but what is equally interesting and amusing is to what them when one is upset about something, or especially when one is being scolded. For example, if Ian is upset or being scolded for not doing something right, Rylee will quietly chid Ian saying something like "Ian dont do that!" or kinda giggle at Ian...and you can clearly see the frustration on Ian's face as he whacks Rylee upside the head...in a "I may be getting yelled at, but you sure as hell aint going to make fun of me while it happening" sort of response. Of course, this causes Rylee to start bitching that Ian hit her, and I have to scold both of them, all the while knowing that Rylee had it coming to her..... of course, it happens the reverse way too....

No comments: