Thursday, May 19, 2011

And this is supposed to be a step in the right direction? I bet there is going to a a HUGE market (black, I bet) for the old light bulbs when this starts.. and let me guess, they will all be made in China... As I sit here in my downstairs den/livingroom/kitchen area.. I see 10 (ten) TEN light bulbs that would need to be replaced... 50 dollars a piece? Are you serious? I guess people want us to simply not use light at night, I am guessing... are the poor going to be able to afford these. Oh wait, let me guess, they will get them for free...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You don't need to replace them with the 100 watt LED bulbs. Here's a 12-pack of compact fluorescent for less than $30.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/GE-Energy-Smart-13W-CFL-Soft-White-Light-Bulb-3-Pack/15040878

Grandpa said...

um.. yeah.. already did that years ago, got the certificate. Virtually all our lights are CF now... the article implies the prevailing larmist mantra about CF bulbs by noting "Compact fluorescents are the most obvious replacement, but they have drawbacks. They contain a small amount of toxic mercury vapor, which is released if they break or are improperly thrown away. They last longer than traditional bulbs but not as long as LEDs. Brighter models are bulky and may not fit in existing fixtures."... And while I havent evacuated the house whenever one has broken, it does make me kinda wonder in the back of my mind. I am sure others will be simply pointed toward this law as an excuse to upsell.. but like I said, I am willing to bet that the wealth will get passed on to those who say they cant afford them...

Daugenet said...

so.... no more easy bake ovens? sadness.

I think that you are right about the wealth being passed on....