Tuesday, June 23, 2009

trainwreck

after all the hoopla about Jon and Kate, I decided to watch the episodes last night. I have only seen brief clips previously and know some of the background but dont watch every episode. I think that despite what everyone likes to pile on about Jon in this case, or even talk about Kates personality, it was still somewhat sad to watch. Especially as someone who is married and has been for a long time. I cant imagine what they are going thru and certainly dont want to ever have to. I imagine the looks on their faces and the stumbling to come up with words are only the tip of their feelings. Clearly...CLEARLY... the birth of the children and the show totally destroyed this marraige. They both have personal responsibility and utlimately the decisions they made, right and wrong, were theirs. But I cant imagine having your life with a camera in your face ALL THE TIME. And then have poparazzi following you and your kids 24/7 too. Despite all the things we have seen, we still dont really know what is going on between those two. And Kate hit it on the head when she talked about being tagged as a "failure". All of you reading this...think about how it would be if ALL your decisions were fodder for public scrutiny. Would you hold up to that? Yeah.. I know. They signed off on it and they agreed to it. They knew and benefitted from the publicity. But...even Barack Obama doesnt have a camera (yet) following him and showing his private moments with his wife and kids. And I bet things are said and decisions made within his family that the public would discuss and not agree with. As happens with all families.

The birth of the children was a blessing to them. The decisions by TV and Jon and Kate to show 24/7 coverage of their life was a curse.

2 comments:

Amy said...

What do you think of the comments that people make that Kate is a good mother, but a horrible wife? I'm not a watcher of the show, either, but apparently that's all the buzz in the UK

Sweet T said...

I agree with Amy...good mother, but a horrible wife (at least as the show spun her personality to the viewers.) I have watched the show since it started and Danny refused to watch it because of how passive Jon was and how much of a "bully" Kate was to him.

I agree with you Grandpa that it is sad, as any broken marriage with kids is. I see it often at school and any kid that I have taught experiencing divorce or separation has always struggled to keep it together...emotions, responsibilities, academics, etc.