Friday, April 23, 2004

Africana?

for some odd reason that I cant even remember, I started thinking about if I wanted to have some sort of African art in my new office that I move into in June. Now, i know that most of you who know me have probably never known me to start opining about the Dark continent and its ramifications... but I DO try to keep up with stuff, because it IS a part of who I am, even if it isnt a major part of my overall persona (again, those who know me well understand). I think I will put up one of those masks like you see at Pier 1. I already have a print of Jackie Robinson and a print of Martin Luther king. I would like to find the print of Malcolm X and Martin Luther King shaking hands on the Capitol steps in their one meeting...that would be cool....

...Oh, i suddenly remembered... last night, I came across Tavis Smiley on ...not BET...but ETV. I KNOW some of you know who the esteemed Tavis Smiley is. Just mentioning the name invokes that sound bite type of memory of him speaking in the distictive voice. He is on ETV now at about the same time as he used to be on "BET Tonight, with Tavis Smiley" (again, invokes that soind memory, doesnt it?)...the other night, he interviewed Dule Hill....

But the whole issue is one that I must deal with in regards to the twins. It is obvious that they will be probably further intwined in the "white" world than even I was. But there will be no denying that they are not "white". I can only hope that I can do for them what my parents did for me and present the information about my race, heritage, etc.... and let them pick their own friends and path. But I also know that I have the ability to steer them down certain roads...dont you think getting them into Band at an early age will place them into a certain type of culture, as opposed to Athletics? That is probably what happened to me.... But then again, my twins are coming into a world far more integrated than what I came into. I was in the First integrated class to go from 1st through Highschool in South Carolina.

... oh, and this little stuff about re-instating the draft? Uh, while Jessica has always stated that she would be against the twins being in the military. I have alwasy thought that if you are good enough to earn a commision to West Point or Annapolis, you are doing pretty damn good. But...the draft is another whole ball game. While I doubt anyone reading this that I know has to personally worry about picking sand from your boots a year from now, your kids might very well have to do that IF they bring this draft back into line. Being selected to go to West point is one thing. Being selected to go to Fort Bragg is another...

No comments: