Monday, February 25, 2008

mercy

I have always tried to keep what some may call "an even keel" and that has become even more crucial once i was diagnosed as a level 2 diabetic. I have noticed that stress affects me profoundly and have made every attempt to keep it at a minimum. But this past weekend has been a test for me and i still havent recovered fully. Jessica had a procedure for her gall bladder, which was a follow up for the proceding week. just so happens that i came down with the flu the same day she was going to her tests, then she found out she would need to spend the night in the hospital. Now normally, if i get the flu, i take some nyquil, hit the bed and the next morning, I'm all good. But it seems that the combination of events dropped my blood sugar so low that i was getting these headaches and fever that wouldnt let me sleep. And this has been ongoing since Thursday. I beleive that i will be totally fine by the end of the day but it has alarmed me that i became sick and couldnt figure out how to stop the wild swings in my blood sugar. It then dawned on me that the swings were being caused by the medicine i take everyday for my diabetes. I didnt take it yesterday and I feel drastically better today. I think I will wait another day before going back on my meds.

But all this accentuated why i have been ridiculed in the past for sweating details so far in advance. the less I have to feel stressed about, the better. I used to print out itenarays for stuff like our little Nascar trips and stuff, but now I just keep it in my head and when things bog down, I offer the "this is what we need to do and when" suggestion. It all comes back to how I feel. If I start to feel stressed it affects my blood sugar, and it can spiral from there.

at any rate, I hope to be able to be back at 100 percent by the end of the day today. by the way, Jessica has come thru her procedures very well.

3 comments:

Andee said...

I'm glad to hear that Jecca is doing well. And you go kick stress's butt!

Anonymous said...

Dude, I feel you. I don't know why most people don't enjoy the benefits of planning and foresight.

I also hear you on the stress. Problem is, most people I work with and spend time around don't plan much or foresee the issues which can be optimized and avoided and... that stresses me out!

What to do?!?!?

Grandpa said...

JOSH!!!!!! good to hear from ya dude...way too long...we need to go get a beer....