Monday, February 23, 2004

Wow

QUOTE OF THE DAY
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.
- Peter De Vries

Just found out today that a dear friend of mine is pregnant with her first child. I wont reveal her name until she is farther along (those of you who have had kids know what I mean) but this is just weird. But it is time. She turns 30 in a few months, so it was gettin about that time. Now, all we need is for my boy Erik to settle down and find himself a woman...although, I guess I didnt get married until I was 32, so I have no room to talk....
... some people upset with me because I seem to be a proponent of musicality being a part of being a brother of Kappa Kappa Psi. Well, if you aint tryin to be musical, are you Strivin for tha Highest within the fraternity? I mean, you have to at least TRY...nobody is saying everyone has to be Winton Marsalis on Trumpet, but if you are not tryin to be the best on your instrument you can be while you are playing it, then you are not promoting the ideals you profess to live up to. There is a place within the fraternal ranks for the marginal musician...but if you are settling for being marginal, then there is a problem. I guarantee that Dr. Spede, Dr. Hosler, Dr. Goodstein and Dr. Buyer would all rather have a marginal 3rd clarinet player that is trying hard, is enthusiastic and participates, than a marginal 3rd clarinet player that just sits there and uses the excuse of not being talented to not try... so..no, I dont buy the "I am lucky to be in Kappa Kappa Psi because I suck on my instrument" argument. You can suck, but you better damn well be trying your hardest, or else you are not following the ideals of the fraternity.

No comments: