Wednesday, August 01, 2007

explanation of sorts

a couple of days ago I sad I was sad about the current chapter of kappa kappa psi of which i sponsor. I just want to clarify...I am sad in that I am not sure they are getting the same experience that I feel those of you who read this familiar with the FRAT got while at Clemson. I do feel that they are doing a good job, and I am not sad about that aspect. But I wonder if they go to Huddle House together, or out to TigerTown, or out to the lake, or shopping, or any of those things together. Sure, I know some of them do..but is this experience limited for them? are they simply relying on Instant Messenger to communicate instead of spending time face to face. WHen I see groups of people who were in the chapter when I was active, and in the following years immediately afterward, at games, and I see pix of them gathering together online, i wonder will these current brothers do the same... For the experiences of being together and growing together and learning together made a bond that I too often feel is lacking right now with the actives. I spent an hour and a half talking to our former Governor Haughee at Nat Convention talking about how chapters ebb and flow in regards to these issues and he gave me some steps to use to make sure that the current actives are making themselves available to all that is offered to them in the "band" experience at the college level. I hope we can make some progress in certain areas this upcoming year. I am going to try hard to make sure those groups of people sittin out in the parking lot on gamedays arnt talkin about how the chapter just isnt the way it used to be and all that. Well... thats probably going to happen anyway, and it will be true and not true in many ways. But i at least want them to always be proud of the organization that exist today and their role/involvement in the past.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Jerome,
VERY well said. I do not know any of the newer chapter members, sadly... But I frequently reflect on the TTT outings, and definitely the Huddle House outings. Who can forget the 3am huddle burger.
Peace. Maybe I'll see you this fall!
Josh