Wednesday, June 30, 2004

Bathroom internet, Money trees, student workers...

Ah, you gotta love the cable modem...especially with the wireless...Im sitting here in the bathroom with the twins while they take their bath. Five years ago, this would have been stuff of science fiction...now I can surf the web while Ian splashes around and turns the bathroom floor into a lake...again.

Someone has stolen 3 projectors from Furman during the last week, over the last 3 weeks. It is amusing to me how I submit a budget request, and can be told that there isnt anymore money (although I must admit that my budget is pretty sizable in comparison to say, the Helpdek), but suddenly, with the spector of the Falcons arriving in 3 weeks and their being a couple of rooms with wires hanging from the ceiling, I suddenly get an email from a vice president essentially saying, "here's $24,000, make it happen..." kinda funny... gotta love those contingency funds that are usually used to fund those "conferences" and "seminars" suddenly appearing...

My newest student worker came in today and told me that her job at the hotel is paying her more and has offered her more hours, and that she has to quit. It seemed as though she expected me to stand up and beg her not to go or something... I was like, "make sure you leave the key on the workstation desk.." these students seem to fail to realize that they are all replacable, especially at 7.50 an hour... sigh... and its always the female workers who are whacked... I think I may seriously give thought to never hiring a girl again. they have proven to be my most unreliable workers, always bringing thier boyfirends in with them, etc... well, I take that back. There are 3 currently who cut the mustard. The others are shaky, real shaky. I guess I will hire females in the future, but they better be good, damn good... Cant really discriminate, but it sure makes me think twice sometimes.

No comments: